The Fort Myers Rotary Club established the Trust Fund in 1978 as a 501 (c)(3) organization, operated under a Trust agreement. Contributions to the Trust come in a variety of ways, and began with a generous bequest from a member. The Club holds several fundraisers during the year and asks members and friends to make contributions, which are tax exempt as permitted under applicable tax codes. Club scholarships are made through the Trust.
The Scholarship Committee is responsible for reviewing requests for the Club’s scholarships. The Scholarship Committee reviews applications and makes the appropriate recommendations to the Board of Directors acting as Trustees of the Trust Fund.
- Two letters of recommendation; One from an academic reference such as a teacher or counselor, the second from someone outside an educational institution, such as a community leader, employer, or business person.
- Essay (minimum 500 words, 12 pt. font, double spaced) stating future goals, community involvement, and a general knowledge/understanding of Rotary
- Resume with outline of accomplishments
- Copy of high school transcript or college transcript. Both high school and college transcripts are required if student is in first year of college.
- All applications due by March 30. Recipients will be announced by April 30.
- If chosen, the applicant will need to provide his/her social security number.
- Scholarship opportunity open to all Lee County High School students and Lee County residents currently attending any Florida college or university.
- All applicants for a scholarship must be enrolled in a degree-program with an accredited college, university or in an accredited program offered by a technical or vocational school.
- Scholarship of $2,000.00 to be paid out ($1,000) per term. Applicants may reapply each year but are not guaranteed renewal.
- Financial Need will be a consideration, but not a requirement.
- Rotary Interact or Rotaract membership/involvement is not a requirement, but a positive.
- Relatives of Rotary members may apply.
- Scholarship recipients are required to attend one Rotary meeting during their first year.
- Scholarship money is paid to the student. Money will be released upon enrollment.
Scholarship application deadlines are the 30th of March. Recipients will be announced by the 30th of April.